Effective as of July 28, 2022
Please read this Policy carefully to understand our policies and practices regarding your information and how we will treat it. We may change this Policy from time to time. If we make changes, we will notify you by revising the date at the top of this Policy. Your continued use of the Services after we make changes is deemed to be acceptance of those changes. We encourage you to review this Policy frequently to stay informed about our information practices and the choices available to you.
COLLECTION OF INFORMATION
Information You Provide to Us
We collect personal information you provide directly to us. For example, you share information directly with us when you create an account to access or use the Services, access or use any collaboration tools or participate in any interactive features of the Services, send us an email, fill out a form, respond to a survey, comment on a blog, register for or participate in an event, apply for a job, interact with us on social media, enter a promotional drawing, or otherwise communicate with us.
The types of personal information we may collect include your:
- Contact information, such as name, email address, postal address, and phone number;
- Education information, such as educational degrees, languages, professional memberships, qualifications, and certifications;
- Employment information, such as company name, job status, job title, office location, and LinkedIn profile information;
- Health and health-related information, such as accessibility requirements, dietary restrictions, and, where necessary and appropriate to protect the health and safety of our personnel and others, information related to symptoms of, or risk of exposure to, certain illnesses;
- Demographic information, which may include sensitive personal information or information about protected classifications, such as age, gender, race/ethnic origin, and nationality; and
- Any other information you choose to provide.
Information We Automatically Collect
We automatically collect certain technical information when you access or use the Services. The types of information we may collect include:
- Log Information: We collect log information about your use of the Services, including your browser type and language, app version, access times, pages viewed, Internet Protocol (“IP”) address, approximate geographic location, and the webpage or online service you visited before navigating to the Services.
- Device Information: We collect information about the device you use to access our Services, which may include the hardware model, operating system and version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information.
- Location Information: In accordance with your device permissions, we may collect information about the precise location of your device.
- Information Collected by Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies: We and our service providers use various technologies to collect information about your use of the Services and other websites and applications, including cookies and web beacons (or pixel tags). Cookies are small data files stored on your hard drive or in device memory that help us to, among other things, improve the Services and your experience, see which areas and features of the Services are popular and count visits. Web beacons (also known as “pixel tags” or “clear GIFs”) are electronic images that may be used on the Services or in our emails and help deliver cookies, count visits, understand usage and campaign effectiveness, and determine if an email has been opened and acted upon.
Information We Collect from Other Sources
We may also obtain information from other sources and combine that with information we collect through the Services. For example, we may use information from LinkedIn to update information about you in our contact database.
Information We Derive
We may derive information or draw inferences about you based on the other types of personal information we collect. For example, we may infer your location based on your IP address, or that you are interested in employment or participating in an event based on your browsing behavior on our Services.
USE OF INFORMATION
We use personal information for various purposes, including to:
- Provide, maintain, and improve the Services;
- Personalize and improve your experience on our Services;
- Respond to your questions, comments, and requests;
- Provide the information or services you request and send you related information;
- Send you newsletters, updates, and other communications we think will be of interest to you, including about our services, programming, and events;
- Assess job applicants and make hiring decisions;
- Monitor and analyze usage, trends, and activities related to the Services;
- Manage your online account(s) and send you technical notices, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages;
- Detect, investigate, and prevent security incidents and other malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity and protect the rights and property of Carmody MacDonald and others;
- Debug to identify and repair errors in the Services;
- Comply with our legal and financial obligations;
- Protect the health, safety, and vital interests of our personnel and others;
- Notify you about any changes to the Services; and
- Carry out any other purpose described to you at the time the information was collected.
DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION
We may share your personal information as follows or as otherwise described in this Policy:
- With the applicable state bar association, we may share your name and bar number in connection with an application for CLE credit;
- With vendors, consultants, professional advisors, and other service providers that need access to your personal information to carry out their work for us;
- In response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law or legal process, including lawful requests by public authorities to meet national security or law enforcement requirements;
- If we believe your actions are inconsistent with our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property, and safety of Carmody MacDonald or any third party;
- With other users of our Services if you post content to interactive areas of those Services. For example, any personal information you post in connection with an online profile, blog, or other interactive areas of the Services will be available to other users of those areas and, in some cases, may be publicly available; and
- With your consent or at your direction, including if we notify you that your personal information will be shared in a particular manner and you provide such personal information. We may also share your personal information with third parties when you intentionally direct us to do so or when you use our Services to intentionally interact with third parties.
We may also share aggregated or de-identified information, which cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
We maintain commercially reasonable security measures to protect the personally identifiable information we collect and store from loss, misuse, destruction, or unauthorized access. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure or private. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted on or through the Services. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained in the Services.
Please note that because emails and other communications sent to us are not encrypted, we strongly advise you not to communicate any confidential information through those addresses.
PRIVACY OF CHILDREN
The Services are not intended for children under the age of 18. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 18. If we become aware that we have collected or received personal information from a child under 18 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information.
LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES AND THIRD-PARTY CONTENT
We may provide links to or embed videos hosted by third-party websites, services, and applications that are not operated or controlled by Carmody MacDonald. Please be aware that when you click on links that take you to third-party websites, you will be subject to their respective privacy policies. This Policy does not apply to third-party services, and we cannot take responsibility for the content, privacy policies, or practices of third-party services. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of any third-party service before providing any information to or through them. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of any third-party service before providing any information to or through them.
Correcting Your Information
You may review and request modifications to your personal information by contacting us at [email protected].
You may opt out of receiving promotional communications from us or request changes to your communication preferences by following the instructions in those communications. If you opt out, we may still send you non-promotional communications, such as those about your account or our ongoing business relations.
Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you would prefer not to accept cookies, from our Site or any other website, you can usually modify the settings in your browser to remove or reject cookies. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Services. You can find out more about cookies and how to manage them by visiting www.aboutcookies.org.
We do not control third parties’ collection or use of your information to serve interest-based advertising. However, these third parties may provide you with ways to choose not to have your information collected or used in this way. You can opt out of receiving targeted ads from members of the Network Advertising Initiative (”NAI”) by visiting the NAI’s Consumer Opt-Out. For more information on opting out on mobile devices, please visit the NAI’s Mobile Opt-Out.
The technologies used by Google Analytics do not gather information that personally identifies you. The information generated by Google Analytics is transmitted to and stored by Google and is subject to Google’s privacy policies. To learn more about Google’s partner services and to learn how to opt-out of tracking of analytics by Google, click here.
“Do Not Track” Signals
Some internet browsers incorporate a “do not track” feature that signals to websites you visit that you do not want to have your online activity tracked. Given that there is not a uniform way that browsers communicate the “do not track” signal, the Services do not currently interpret, respond to, or alter their practices when they receive “do not track” signals.
VISITORS FROM OUTSIDE THE U.S.
The Services are based in the U.S. and intended for U.S. users. This Policy governs the information collected by Carmody MacDonald, including information collected through the Services, irrespective of where you are located when you access, use, interact with, or submit information through the Services. This means your personal information may be stored outside of the province, state, and/or country in which you reside (including in the U.S.) and processed by us, an affiliate, or a third-party service provider as described in this Policy. Moreover, governmental and regulatory bodies that have jurisdiction (e.g., courts, regulators, and law enforcement agencies) may be entitled to access your personal information.
If we learn that you are located in the EU and are accessing or using the Services, we will not intentionally collect any information from you without your consent and will delete all automatically collected information concerning your access and use of the Services.
If you have questions or comments about this Policy, you may email us at [email protected].